[Interest] Apologies on the "bloat" thread (a.k.a yes Windows is still important)

Knight Andrew Andrew.Knight at digia.com
Fri Apr 12 08:18:06 CEST 2013

> The alternative is to put this code inside qmake itself, so no new binary
> is  created. This has the advantage that several Qt classes are already
> bootstrapped, including the filesystem engine.

A bit late to the conversation, but wouldn't a nice first step / middle ground be modifying qtsync to work with the ancient Perl (5.8.8) that msysgit ships? I would speculate that most Windows users building Qt have a copy of Perl sitting on their PCs already (albeit it painfully slow). I recall a conversation many moons ago where it was discussed what the minimum version of Perl was stated, but I wasn't able to find it.

Anyway, my attempt to use it turned up one bug already reported:

Also, it looks like msys git Perl doesn't support the double slash operator (line 1195) and there is an issue where the normalizePath subroutine needs its fixDrive regex updated to handle paths which start with a drive letter (line 72). I went ahead and reported these issues:

...and if we want to continue this conversation it should probably move to qt-development.

Andrew Knight
Senior Consultant - Digia, Qt