[Interest] example code for C++ plugin qml extension?

VStevenP vstevenpavao at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 22:50:42 CEST 2013

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the help!  I think I almost have the example plug-in working, but I think I need another tip.

I built examples/qml/plugins/plugins.pro using Qt Creator 2.6.1 / Qt 5.0.0.   It generated qmlqtimeexampleplugin.dll and some other files under the debug build directory "plugins-build-Desktop_Qt_5_0_0_MSVC2010_32bit_SDK-Debug/Imports/TimeExample".

What's some good steps to then make the plug-in available to the companion qml project: examples/qml/plugins/plugins.qmlproject , or some other .pro project.  It's not available in the plugins.qmlproject at this point; it says "TimeExample is not installed").

I also notice there is a directory examples/qml/plugins/Imports/TimeExample.  It contains a qmldir file which contains the following:

module TimeExample
Clock 1.0 Clock.qml
plugin qmlqtimeexampleplugin

(Curiously enough, that directory also contains some .png files and some QML code.  I wonder why an Imports directory would contain such files; it's confusing to me.)

So, any way, what are the typical steps I now need to follow to use the plug-in some other projects?  Do I need to just move/copy the .dll, or are all those other files also critical.

Thanks for your help so far.  I am excited to be getting so close to exposing a number of my C++ classes to QML via a single import of a plugin.

- VStevenP