[Interest] Fwd: Deployment by Qt Installer Framework

Soroush R soroush.rabiei at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 20:04:45 CEST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Soroush R <soroush.rabiei at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Interest] Deployment by Qt Installer Framework
To: Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi <mbnoimi at gmail.com>

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi <mbnoimi at gmail.com
> wrote:

>  On 04/13/2013 07:54 PM, Soroush R wrote:
>
> I think there is no package management mechanism for Windows (like Linux
> distros), so developers have to take care of deployment.
>
> Personally I deploy Qt in Linux just like Windows (ldd & dependency
> walker), so I don't feel that Windows deployment is different from Linux,
> both of them are not practical by comparing with Delphi OR VB6.
>
> PS
> Two years ago I failed to find any tool for deploying Qt applications
> under Linux as deb or rpm packages

I can't see why you need ldd on Linux. Do you put shared objects of qt
beside your application or libraries ?

Talking about debian-based distros, you may need a handy debhelper option
that checks ldd result and choose which qt package to be included in
dependency list. But this is not required in my opinion. You just need to
put 3~10 packages in your dependency list. That is required only once per
application/library, and a large variety of desktop application has similar
sets of qt packages in their dependency list. So it should not be boring to
do this stuff by hand ;)

But if deployment is really problematic for you (on Windows) you can write
a simple script (say perl or python) to parse ldd output (in the case that
you're using GCC) and copy corresponding libs from path next to your
application.