[Interest] Qt 5.0.2 speed and widgets

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Mon Apr 15 13:54:39 CEST 2013

Mandag 15. april 2013 10.34.16 skrev Philippe:
> I think I have found the problem: the qaccessible interface...
>
> While my program was kind of hanging during those long seconds, I have
> broken several times in the debugger, and saw that some accessibility
> code was being executed. Then I did this quick Qt change:
> in qaccessible.cpp
> QAccessible::queryAccessibleInterface(...)
> I insert "return 0;" at the start...
> et voilà, back to normal speed! (actually, a 20% reduction compared to
> 4.8, but this is the day and night compared to before).
> This code change is a dirty hack of course, but it simply make Qt 5 usable
> again for me...
>
> There is definitly something wrong on the Windows accessibility code...

I suspect it is mostly debug output which actually slows down things. We have
cleaned it up for Qt 5.1 which will be the next release.

It would be very interesting if you could run the same with the Qt 5.1.0
alpha. We fixed several issues there (especially with debug output and
warnings and also QGraphicsView) and improved performance of accessibility by
introducing a cache.

There is one more patch pending to make accessibility get even less in the way
when it's inactive (https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,52194).
If you still experience a slowdown with 5.1, please let me know. It would be
good to get that fixed.

If you test again, please let me know if you have the accessibility plugins
installed in the Qt version you are testing (qtaccessiblewidgets.dll).

Greetings
Frederik