[Interest] qmake: questions regarding huge projects

Bo Thorsen bthorsen at ics.com
Fri Apr 19 11:25:31 CEST 2013

Hi Rainer,

Sounds to me like you want to switch to cmake instead. That has a lot
better support for dependencies between subprojects than qmake. And for
a project of this size, I would expect you have some fancy build stuff
in there as well, and qmake is usually too simple for it.

Bo.

Den 19-04-2013 08:48, Rainer Wiesenfarth skrev:
> I would like to ask for some "expert tutorial" or some hints for using
> qmake with huge projects.
>
> What is huge? Our complete package consists of >50 applications build
> based on >100 libraries (organized in modules and units). On Windows, we
> use a Visual Studio solution file containing 250 projects, the
> application projects use "Properties" / "Framework and References" to
> refer to those libraries needed for this specific application.
>
> Now I would like to setup build system on Linux for a part of our
> package. Currently we use a own Makefile based approach that has some
> disadvantages. What I would like to have is a solution based on qmake
> (ideally) that satisfies these conditions:
>
> - if an application A depends on a library B, it is sufficient to define
> this only once ("needs"), not multiple times ("depends on" + "build
> after" + "link with" + ...)
>
> - if I build a single application, only those libraries are build that
> are needed for this application
>
> - if the whole package is build, each library is ideally built only once
>
> - build steps run in parallel on multiple cores
>
> Could anyone of you point me to examples or docs that might help me to
> find this solution?
>
> Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Rainer Wiesenfarth

Bo Thorsen, European Qt Manager, Integrated Computer Solutions
ICS - Delivering World-Class Applications for Embedded & Mobile Devices
http://ics.com/services