[Interest] How can i dissolve/appear a picture using particles in QML?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 21:39:36 CEST 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Alan Alpert <416365416c at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Alan Alpert <416365416c at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> For the image case you can use
>>> http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtquick/qml-qtquick-particles2-maskshape.html
>>> . That should be fairly simple.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the arbitrary item case is not so simple. I believe you
>>> have to use a http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtquick/qml-qtquick-particles2-customparticle.html
>>> , use ShaderEffectSource to get the other Item into the custom
>>> particles shaders as a texture, and use that texture as a filter to
>>> play only particles that end up inside that texture (or if exploding
>>> from it, which end up inside the texture but play the particles
>>> backwards).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Alpert

>> oh wow, that's awesome! Going to play with that one. Though i really
>> have no clue how to play with the reverse one (building a picture from
>> particles instead of breaking it down)
>
> Note that that second one requires writing custom shaders, so it's
> going to be hard to learn if you don't know GLSL already.
>
> An alternative is to write your own custom particle system, possibly
> on the Canvas element (fairly easy for an imperative programmer to do
> if targeting just a specific effect).
>
> --
> Alan Alpert

I try to stay away from making my own custom particle effect/system.
The custom shader approach seems to be the best one out of the
available ones, but that is quite a learning curve. I've not made
shaders yet :p Oh well, i guess i just have to play with what is
possible right now and see how far i get and see what's missing in QML
itself.

The thing i want to do with this is "somewhat" the same as my feature
request from some months ago about making text input animated. Only
now with particles :) So when you type in text (or when you open an
image) the text/image builds up in particles and breaks down when you
delete it.