[Interest] Qt styles, Qt installations

Clément Geiger clement.geiger at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 10:51:27 CEST 2013

Hi there,

I'm experiencing some trouble understanding what's going on with Qt styles.
Let me explain my setup: I'm running ubuntu 12.04, with the standard Qt
libs installed from the Ubuntu repositories. That gives us Qt 4.8.1.

Today I wanted to try out the latest Qt 4.8 to date, Qt 4.8.5

So I downloaded the sources, configured (./configure) compiled and
installed it (make && make install). Everything ran smooth and I had a
brand new Qt 4.8.5 sitting in /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt4.8.5.

I setup my kit in QtCreator so that it uses this kit, clean and recompile
my project, again everything is fine.

Then I run it, but my application now looks ugly ! Bizarre colors, aliased
texts and so on.

(here is a screenshot of a minimal test case I set up to show the
difference : http://hpics.li/a879bd1 The expected look is on the left)

My question is then, what did I do wrong and how could I fix this ?

Thank you in advance for your time !

Clément