[Interest] Converting std::string.c_str() code to use QString methods

Constantin Makshin cmakshin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 16:26:41 CEST 2013

For ASCII-only hardcoded constant strings it's better to use
QLatin1String because of its significantly lower overhead compared to
QString (no additional memory [de]allocations and copying, it uses the
original 'const char*' as its contents).

For storing strings I'd recommend using UTF-8 because in the average
case it's more space-efficient than other [widely-used] Unicode variants
(UTF-16, UTF-32) without losing the ability to represent any character.
And it has a bonus in the form of compatibility with ASCII. :)

Text messages (warnings, errors, progress like "Trying to guess what's
going on...", etc.) tend to be relatively short, so simple appending or
formatting (QString::arg() and co.) should be OK.

Of course, all that information is just my opinion. :)