[Interest] QEventLoop -- not sure I am correctly using this

Jason Kretzer Jason at gocodigo.com
Mon Dec 2 22:47:22 CET 2013

Thanks for the information!  Very helpful!

Here is the BackgroundTaskManager full constructor — since you brought up the idea of parentage — I thought this might be helpful to the conversation.

BackgroundTaskManager::BackgroundTaskManager(QObject *parent) :
    QObject(parent)
{
    QTimer* timer = new QTimer(this);
    connect(timer, SIGNAL(timeout()), this, SLOT(runTasks()));
    timer->start(300000); //fiveminutes
    thread = new QThread();
    this->moveToThread(thread);
    thread->start();
}

BackgroundTaskManager::~BackgroundTaskManager() {
    thread->deleteLater();
    _instance->deleteLater();
}

void BackgroundTaskManager::init()
{
    qDebug() << "Starting Background Task Manager";
    _instance = new BackgroundTaskManager();
}

BackgroundTaskManager* BackgroundTaskManager::instance()
{
    if (_instance == 0) {
        init();
    }
    return _instance;
}

As I am not sure what would be important to this, I am including more information.
In the header, here are the corresponding prototypes:

public:
static BackgroundTaskManager* instance();
static void init();

private:
explicit BackgroundTaskManager(QObject *parent = 0);

Basically, in main the class is instantiated like this.

BackgroundTaskManager::init();

Then if it is needed, it can be referred to as BackgroundTaskManager::instance(); for instance for connecting slots/signals.

I didn’t design the class, I am just using it.  :)  However, I am not averse to rewriting the thing!  Here is what the purpose CURRENTLY is.  Every 5 minutes the runTasks method is supposed to run in the background.  If during these tasks, a change is needed in the main thread, a signal is emitted.  The connections are set up in the main thread.  As an example, inside the player object constructor I mentioned earlier.

connect(BackgroundTaskManager::instance(), SIGNAL(firstTaskCompleted()), this, SLOT(restartPlayer()));

The point is that the tasks get run by the BackgroundTaskManager without blocking the player doing its thing.

Is the above the way to go about it?

-----------------------
Regarding the QEventLoop:
I am definitely going to switch out to a different method for the 1 second timer that I mentioned before.  Just call a method with a Qtimer that fires a function every second.  Then set up a connection to the quit slot for the timer when circumstances warrant that it quit — i.e. when the taskQueue is empty.

-Jason

Jason R. Kretzer

Application Developer
Google # 606-887-9011
Cell # 606-792-0079
Jason at gocodigo.com<mailto:Jason at gocodigo.com>

“quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur”

[cid:image001.png at 01CECA4D.CA4030A0]