[Interest] Problems with Qt5's build form git (release branch) due to qtjsondb and a nasty build setup

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Wed Dec 11 14:02:16 CET 2013

On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 04:07:17 CEST, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> - Why is `make first` the default target instead of `make all`?
>
> Because, as its name says, "first" is the first target.
>
> But it doesn't make a difference, does it? Both targets should do the
same.

It does make a difference -- running `make` did not produce any more object
files after the build failed for the first time (with plenty of targets
still not being built), while `make all` did the right thing.

Which is why I'm raising this here -- I propose to change the default
target from "first" to "all".

The (edited for clarity) build log which illustrates this problem is at
[1]. I'm using GNU Make 3.82. Gentoo has patched it with some changes which
are said to be from GNU's CVS [2].

>> $ echo $?
>> 2
>
> No, looks like it isn't. It reported an error.

It reported the error via the exit status. You've already told me on IRC
that you have a code which wanrs you about this in your shell's prompt,
which is cool, but cannot be relied upon as it is not the default settings.

As I said, I expect make to include the string "error" on at least one of
the last three screens of scrollback. That is *not* the case on this
system, which is why I'm complaining here.

> 	http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/make/

So what exactly would you do if you were the upstream maintainer and
someone sent you this bugreport? "Please provide a small, self-reproducing
example" would be the obvious response. I am celarly *not* in the position
to do that; I do not know anything about how Qt builds itself, and quite
frankly, I do not have any motivation to spend hours digging through the
generated Makefiles to see what the difference in targets between "first"
and "all" is.

In the meanwhile, I've at least changed the wiki so that it talks about
`make all` instead of just `make`.

Cheers,
Jan

[1] http://jkt.flaska.net/tmp/log-make-first-fails