[Interest] Translation support totally broken

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Dec 18 17:58:01 CET 2013

On quarta-feira, 18 de dezembro de 2013 16:58:22, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:
> "ID based translation" is the bigest fuckup since the invention of i18n!
>
> Oh just how I hated that concept when back in Java. Or any other framework
> for that matter.
>
> In Qt you have the /actual messages/ in the source code, so I never have to
> wonder what e.g.
>
>   dialog->showMessage(resourceBundle->msg('msg_12345', arg1, arg2, arg3); //
> hold on! Does that message really take 3 args? WTF!

One intermediate solution we used to use in Nokia products was to write
"Engineering English" in the source code. If you've ever used a prototype, you
might have seen strings with "!!" in the beginning. For example, you'd write:

	dialog->showMessage(tr("!! This is %1 and the date is the %2")
		.arg("frobniz")
		.arg(QLocale().toString(QDateTime::currentDateTime()));

And then you have a translation team translating from "Engineering English" to
"Proper English", including fixing grammar errors like using an article before
the date.

(It might be that the double bang was added by the translation system, not
written in the text)

This has the following benefits:
 - developers don't have to have perfect command of English
 - fixing the English text doesn't affect other languages
 - immediately visible which strings didn't get translated yet, from the !!