[Interest] Direction of Qt [Was: Re: QML Runtime]

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 2 01:06:47 CET 2013

On sábado, 2 de fevereiro de 2013 00.56.57, André Pönitz wrote:
> Both worlds currently barely overlap, and while there is some motion to
> bridge the divide it's hard to imagine a reconciliation in the next few
> years. So the options are more or less that either side A is forcefully
> abandoned, or side B is forcefully abandoned, or that there will be a
> more or less peaceful coexistence between the two. Given the open nature
> of the project, anything "forceful" would be difficult to achieve so my
> second prediction is that we'll see both worlds alive for "eternity".
> Whether there will be a dominant side, and if so which, is up to the
> project contributors and users to influence.

Well said, André. That's my opinion too: both sides will continue to co-exist
for the foreseeable future. If any side gets an upper hand, it will be due to
the collective efforts of the people involved and the evolution of the
technology itself.

I actually, fully do expect QML to come out dominant for the UI (all form
factors) but not for any number crunching, with JS being relegated to what CSS
stylesheets are today: minor touches or poor coding practice.