[Interest] A little question about Qt

Andres Linares andreslb151 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 02:45:15 CET 2013

Hi,
Beforehand I'll introduce myself. My name is Andres Linares, I'm very
interested into developing using C++ and Qt Framework. I've been reading
some books and some documentation on the net, so I have a little
question about GUI support on Qt.

On a book named "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4, Second Edition", on page
23, it says:
"Qt applications look native on every supported platform. Qt achieves
this by emulating the platform's look and feel, rather than wrapping a
particular platform or toolkit's widget set. "

but in this post it says:

"but to achieve true perfection we need to use the Gtk theme engine
directly just like we do on Mac and Windows."

So how Qt multiplatform GUI support works? Does it actually wraps
something from some GUI component (like Cocoa on Mac OS X or WinAPI on
Windows, considering it says it wraps GTK on GTK-based environments) or
it just acts like a "mask" on a specific platform (like Java)?

Thank you, and sorry for my bad english.

Best wishes,

Andres Linares