[Interest] Debugging as root.

Bo Thorsen bo at fioniasoftware.dk
Thu Feb 14 08:26:07 CET 2013

Den 14-02-2013 03:54, Thiago Macieira skrev:
> On quarta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2013 19.22.07, Jason Cipriani wrote:
>> I'm developing an application in Qt Creator that needs to be run as root.
>> I'd rather not run Qt Creator itself as root. Can I configure Qt Creator to
>> run the application as root when I press the run button?
> You may be able to tell Creator that your debugger isn't "gdb", but a wrapper
> program that is setuid root and execs gdb.
>
> Or to use Creator's remote debugging ability to connect to a running gdbserver
> that you started as root. This is probably the most likely to succeed (Debug >
> Start Debugging > Attach to Remote Debug Server).

setuid gdb? "sudo gdb" as the debugger?

If you do try setuid gdb, remember to remove this again as soon as you
are done debugging.

Haven't tried any of them. If you solve the puzzle, please let us know
the way you did it. You are not the only one who have hit this problem.
When I did on Windows, I ran QtC as administrator.

Bo Thorsen.

--
Fionia Software - Qt experts for hire.