[Interest] Qt5 cross compilation issues on Tegra3

Donald Carr sirspudd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 02:36:30 CET 2013

Yuck, I suspect I might be somewhat to blame. There is so much wrong,
I might be causing some of it.

If you create a "device" (TM) mkspec as evident in the device subdir,
it automatically includes a header and footer pri file, which try to
do the right thing but in a braindead misguided fashion.

One of the things that the footer does is automatically append
-mfloat-abi=softfp unless you explicitly state that you are using
hardfp support. My justification for this stupidity is below, if you
care.

This is limited to mkspecs in the device folder, and this was meant to
ease optimal usage/compilation of Qt since:

1) Our documentation doesn't cut it (cross compilation)
2) Our customers are normally complete dolts, even the chipset dudes
who appear to love living in complete ignorance of modern Linux
stacks, toolchain progress and the impact of compiler flags on
generated code.

Since we never actually got the device crap to a point where it was
widely adopted, understood and used, this lingers as a semi-functional
documentational sore point.

I have meant to address this oversight for absolute ages.

Cheerio,
Donald

This was introduced due to the us (possibly just me) deciding that we
always wanted -mfloat-abi=softfp _or_ -mfloat-abi=hard, and never
-mfloat-abi=soft which is the default for most toolchains I have
encountered as part of BSP packages.

On devices like the Raspberry Pi -mfloat-abi=softfp made a hell of a
difference over -mfloat-abi=soft, and at a point where the hardfp
enabled build did not exist.