[Interest] Widget cross-platform (minimum) size constraint problem.

Goblin Coding goblincoding at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 07:13:24 CET 2013

Hi All,

First of all, I have had a look at the documentation, I’ve tried various
combinations of setting minimum sizes, different size policies, calling
updateGeometry() and adjustSize(), I’ve searched the forum for “qwidget
minimum size” and others, I’ve asked Google…and I’m still stuck.

*Background*
I have a widget deriving from QScrollArea. This widget is populated with a
bunch of QGroupBox’es in a horizontal layout (the main layout for the
widget). Each QGroupBox contains buttons and/or other standard Qt widgets
and all of them have layouts assigned to them and their content.

*The problem*
On Windows, I manage to ensure that the widget is created with the minimum
size required to display the content WITHOUT having to show any scroll bars
by setting the minimumSize property (using QtCreator and designer) and
setting both the horizontal and vertical size policies to “Fixed”. This
works just fine.

However, compiling the same code on Ubuntu (12.04 LTS), the widget is
displayed with the horizontal scroll bar showing at start-up. Now, I can
obviously sort that out (for Ubuntu) by playing around with the minimum
size settings, but that kind of defeats the point of “code once, deploy
everywhere”.

*The question*
Is there a way to ensure that what I see in designer is what I get? In case
this is not clear: is there a way to ensure that the widget, when set on a
parent widget or window, will look *exactly* like it does when viewed in
designer?
*Qt details:*

QtCreator 2.4.1 based on Qt 4.7.4 (32 bit)

Thanks for your help!