[Interest] "Loading", recursion and GUI's

William Hallatt goblincoding at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:30:18 CET 2013

Good day everyone,

*What I'm trying to do:*

Display some sort of "Loading" or "Busy" message while executing a
recursive function of unknown depth (GUI app front end).

*
What I've tried:*

Various attempts at using QMovie, QProgressBar, QDialog, QProgressDialog,
etc.  No luck to date.
*

The relevant code snippet:*

QLabel *progress = new QLabel( "Loading..." );

progress->setWindowFlags( Qt::Popup );

progress->move( window()->frameGeometry().topLeft() +
window()->rect().center() /*- progress->rect().center()*/ );

progress->show();

if( !GCDataBaseInterface::instance()->batchProcessDOMDocument( m_domDoc ) )

{

    showErrorMessageBox( GCDataBaseInterface::instance()->getLastError() );

}

else

{

    processDOMDoc();

}

delete progress;

*What it does:

*Both batchProcessDOMDocument as well as processDOMDoc are recursive
function calls.  The first traverses the DOM in order to update a database,
the second updates the GUI's tree widget.  Although the above code does
display a label outline, try as I might, I cannot get it to display any
text (please see attached).

I'll be satisfied with even a simple label stating the obvious:
that the GUI has not frozen and I have run out of ideas.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
William