[Interest] I.MX6 and QT5

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Tue Jan 15 23:52:48 CET 2013

On 01/15/2013 03:43 PM, qtnext wrote:
> thanks for the info ... I hopes that with I.MX6 it's possible to decode
> HD video in hardware and for example remap to an opengl texture or
> quick2 item , but I have checked on freescale website and I am not sure
> if accelerated decoding is not only for overlay display...
>
 > <snip>

Possible? yes.

Easy? Maybe for someone with a very precise set of knowledge...

The VPU decoder natively supports YUV output, which, as you mention
can be directly fed to a hardware overlay layer.

The Vivante GPU also supports a variety of YUV planes though, so
there's a possibility that a memory buffer known to the GPU can
be used as the 'sink' for a gstreamer element and the GPU could
work with or convert it as necessary.

Just how that magic would happen, and what else is needed to
expose the buffer(s) to Quick2 is left as a rather large exercise
for the reader(s).

Regards,

Eric