[Interest] Basic Qt Chart Widget

William Hallatt goblincoding at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 12:20:14 CET 2013

Hi Konstantin

The widget *is *particularly easy to implement (there are only two
compulsory function calls to make):

http://goblincoding.com/qt-chart-widget/chartusage/

It *isn't* a comprehensive charting widget/library so won't be of
particular use for sophisticated users.  However, I would like to think
that it may be useful to some since, although it has its limitations, I
think you get quite a lot for two function calls:

http://goblincoding.com/qt-chart-widget/chartfeatures/

(please note that the widget itself is what you can see in the dock widget
area, i.e. the logging text area at the bottom and the table on the left
form part of my test client)

With regards to what may be useful/can be learned from my implementation:
I make use of design patterns (factory, singleton, strategy) and of the
PIMPL idiom (since the initial idea was to write a comprehensive library, I
set it up in a way I hoped would help ensure future binary compatibility).
Furthermore, the code is well-documented and neat and I use consistent
naming conventions throughout so if anybody *does* want to try and learn
something from my widget, it shouldn't be too hard for them to do so.

I am not trying to compete with comprehensive chart libraries.  If I was, I
would not have released a library with known limitations ;)

Regards,
William.