[Interest] Bringing Qt, C++ To The Web

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Jan 16 21:30:46 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Jan Krause <jan.krause.no19 at gmail.com>wrote:

>  I read this post<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI3NDc>yesterday, I found Emscripten-Qt really promising project, even I found it
> in Qt repository. Does anyone know whether Emscripten-Qt will join to Qt
> project?
>
> This is a great project. Hopefully it is in a stable state in the next
> time. It would be a pleasure if there is technology for bringing qwidgets-
> and/or qml-based applications in the web.

Problem with Emscripten-Qt is it's far from optimized. It downloads and
executes several megabytes of JavaScript to run a simple "Hello World".
It's better than nothing but really far from what you can achieve with
web-targetting libraries such as Wt or QMLweb

http://webtoolkit.eu

https://gitorious.org/qmlweb

But maybe, only maybe, it could be used as the starting point for a "web
native" port of Qt, i. e. add some kind of "do not convert this but take
unmodified" mark support to Emscripten, then start adding JavaScript and
C++ as needed in Qt; the rest will be converted by Emscripten (for now).

(CC'ing Emscripten-Qt author)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org