[Interest] QtCreator, Mac OSX and LLDB?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jan 22 21:20:14 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 01:03:23PM +0000, Danny Price wrote:
> What is the status of LLDB support via Creator on OSX?

Nobody had time to look into it since Summer or so it as far as I know.

My main problem with LLDB right now is that it does not even pretend
to play nicely in the cross-platform area (today it did e.g. not link
on Linux, and yes, I am trying fairly regularly) so going with LLDB
on Mac essentially would mean spending quite some effort to replace
one single-platform solution with another single-platform solution.

Not exactly an attractive proposition, even I understand that we'd
probably need to do it at some point anyway, at least when the iOS
port is maturing.

> I noticed that the latest version of Creator (2.6.1) has the option to
> use LLDB as a debugger per-kit.

> But if I try to launch a LLVM-built
> executable in debug mode, it just hangs.

The compiler itself should not matter a lot.

> I really hope that this gets some love soon as GDB is useless when
> used via Creator. It's gotten to the point where I have to import the
> project into XCode 4 (which I dislike) just to get reliable debugging.

"Useless" is a bit strong as far as I can tell. I am not aware of any
open show-stoppers in JIRA right now, and in the admittedly rare
cases where I use it it appears to work. But functionality-wise it's
certainly not on par with GDB-on-something-like-Fedora.

Feel invited to have a look at the issue yourself and/or help to
spread the word that being cross-platform helps adoption.

Andre'