[Interest] QtCreator, Mac OSX and LLDB?

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Jan 23 21:04:45 CET 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:02:16AM -0500, Michael Jackson wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2013, at 4:25 PM, André Pönitz wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:50:30PM +0000, danny wrote:
> >> I assumed it was common knowledge - you WILL hit this problem if
> >> you try to trace into a non-trivial Qt application on Mac. It was
> >> discussed previously on the mailing list and the Qt Creator manual
> >> alludes to this in two places:
> >>
> >> "Since Python enabled versions of GDB are bundled with all recent
> >> Linux versions, active support for non-Python builds has been
> >> dropped for platforms other than Mac OS X."
> >
> > Can this be read as anything else than "Mac does not require a
> > python-enabled GDB and continues to be supported with it's
> > non-python enabled build"?
> >
> >> It even goes so far as to describing how to install a later version
> >> of GDB from source:
> >>
> >> "FSF GDB can also be compiled for Mac OS, but the build is
> >> currently unstable, and thererefore, this is not recommended."
> >
> > It mentions the possibility to use a python-enabled GDB on Mac, and
> > the consequences.
> >
> > What version of GDB are you actually using?
> >
> > Andre'
>
> Trying to build and actually use the FSF version of GDB on OS X, if
> the build actually succeeds has so many caveats that anything beyond
> "toy" programs is useless.

That's why I wrote the "not recommended" note.

> Things like gdb not supporting dynamic libraries (at least the last
> time I checked) are sort of show-stoppers for me.
>
> The qt-debugging helpers in 4.7.x still seem to work, at least more or
> less. I can see a QString finally and a std::string pretty easily.
> Still no true debugging of vectors, sets, maps and really anything
> else.

This is not really expected. I can try to have a look again later
in the week. In any case, if you are interested in having support
for anything except the latest 4.x and 5.x releases, I need some
help. It's usually just one file that needs to be touched
(share/qtcreator/dumper/dumper.cpp), but I can't realistically
reproduce all interesting configurartions myself.

> I should state that I use OS X 10.6.8 still which is where some
> of these problems seem to lie. I have not actually tried 10.8
> debugging under Qt Creator yet.

"10.6" might indeed be related to the problem, I don't think this
has been actively touched for quite a while.

> <opinion>The sad truth for me is that when I really need to debug deep
> into my code I fire up a VM with Windows and Visual Studio. I may not
> like how VS operates but the debugger seems to be able to show all
> everything that I need, including STL containers and most Qt classes.
> </opinion>

I would be surprised if you get QObject properties etc, but your mileage
seems to vary ;-)

Andre'