[Interest] Contributing to Qt : when you're a spare contributor

Jordi Pujol pisoengracia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 13:57:46 CET 2013

Hi all,

First of all, I'm not a native english speaker/writer so, my apologies
if it seems I'm ranting ( I can state I'm not ). It's only something
stumblin in my mind that I want to share with you.

Today I've read an email in this list that links to this page :

http://sprogram.com.ua/en/articles/qt-connect-to-oracle-as-sysdba

This code seems to me a good candidate to add to Qt's Dabatase module. A
simple and effective way to achieve its goal.

Some time ago I did a similar request ( to merge some lines of code to
enable SQLite extension load ) and only Thiago kindly answered me with
another question. No other answer. :-(

I'm having a huge workload and didn't have the time to contrib it to Qt
5.1 ( I have another little contribution for widgets, even being OK,
that could not be accepted in time for Qt 5.0, and I don't know if I
have to resubmit it or it will be cherry-picked in a near future, but
that's another war... ).

I accept that my contribution are quite small, but a lot of little
contributions make a bigger one ! And the initial gap to contribute
makes many of us think twice before spending the time to push our
changes to Qt project.

I suspect that I'm not the only one in this situation : people that uses
Qt and have good knowledge of it and with good ideas/modifications that
can benefit all the project. And we want to contribute it !

My question to the community is : it's worth the effort to contribute,
if you're a "little one" like me ? I have serious doubts...

I have to spend a lot of time to remember how the submit process goes.
Yes, if you contribute once or twice in a year you forgot the
not-so-simple commands for gerrit ;-)

It's possible to, simplify that process ? I have no problem to sign a
disclaimer like "I wrote that code, but I give all the rights to i.e.
digia/Kdab/<write_here_your_company>" and then send my patches to
someone in that company that evaluates them and pushes it to gerrit in
behalf of me.

I have No need for glory, I only want Qt become better and contribute
with my 2 cents. It's possible to simply cede my code to someone that
takes care of submit ?

Thanks,

	Jordi.