[Interest] can qt.conf be put in a common location?

Yves Bailly yves.bailly at sescoi.fr
Tue Jan 29 08:55:00 CET 2013

Le 29/01/2013 06:34, Thiago Macieira a écrit :
> On segunda-feira, 28 de janeiro de 2013 19.44.18, VStevenP wrote:
>> Is it possible to specify a shared location for qt.conf using an environment
>> variable?
>>
>> It's being a bit of a pain to put a qt.conf file in the app dir for every Qt
>> example installed on my target system.
>>
>> If I could specify a location where the file could be found, I wouldn't have
>> to create a qt.conf for every Qt example I want to run on the target.
>
> Why do you need a qt.conf in the first place? qt.conf is supposed to be used
> for an application that can be installed to an arbitrary location.

Which is the case for roughly 99% of Windows apps for example... This old
"Qt doesn't know about SDK vs deployment location", as said Lincoln, is a
real pain on Windows. No way qt.conf can be "optional" on Windows, unless
you have a total control over the client's system - which is the case
for roughly 1% of customers... The "build twice" advice simply doesn't work.

--
      /- Yves Bailly - Software developer   -\
      \- Sescoi R&D  - http://www.sescoi.fr -/