[Interest] QtQuick2 scenegraph render thread access

Preet prismatic.project at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 15:17:58 CEST 2013

Hi,

In my application I have a custom QQuickItem that has time varying
parameters which are input externally from the C++ side of things. When the
QQuickItem renders, it grabs these parameters using a callback function
that shares memory with the main thread, so I need to protect any shared
memory with mutexes.

With a high frame rate (60fps) and high data input rate (20-100ms) there's
a lot of mutex locking going on. I'd rather have a proxy QObject that holds
a copy of the data in the QtQuick rendering thread, so I can use signals
instead of mutexes.

* Is the scene graph rendering thread a normal QThread with an event loop?
* If so, is there a way to get a pointer to it?

If I'm delving into implementation-specific territory and what I'm doing is
a bad idea, are there any better ways to do what I'm after?

Preet