[Interest] Triggering Actions on Application Close

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 08:29:49 CEST 2013

Am 10.07.2013 um 02:09 schrieb Hamish Moffatt <hamish at risingsoftware.com>:

> On 09/07/13 17:00, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:
>> By the way: SIGTERM is the signal sent to a console application when pressing CTRL + C (also on Windows).
> I think that's SIGINT actually, but I'm nitpicking..

Yeah, right :)

Trying to refresh my memory about my "Operating Systems" lectures back 15+ years ago I did an educated "sigint vs sigterm" Google research (and the auto-complete feature told me that I must have been the 1'000'000st person to ask this question) and came across the following:

  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4042201/how-does-sigint-relate-to-the-other-termination-signals

Simply put, the SIGINT signal (and SIGQUIT, for that matter) can be "generated by the console itself" (by pressing CTRL + C for instance - sic!), whereas all other signals "require an extra application" (such as 'kill').

Other than that SIGINT behaves exactly like SIGTERM: they can be caught and the application is given a chance to properly cleanup (including the possibility to ignore that signal).

Cheers,
  Oliver