[Interest] WebView in Qt 5.1 - first impressions

John C. Turnbull ozemale at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jul 20 22:50:06 CEST 2013

Now that I have WebView successfully displaying Google Maps in Qt 5.1 I
thought I would share my first impressions.

For a start, it seems to be way slower than Firefox or any other standard
browser on this machine. When I open Google Maps in Firefox, the entire page
is loaded and rendered in about 2 seconds. When I open the exact same page
in WebView it takes about 10 seconds to load and render the entire page.

Once the initial page is loaded though the speed at which other linked pages
are loaded and rendered seems to be not that much slower than in Firefox.

However, there seem to be a few behavioural quirks that I have noticed. For
example, clicking the left mouse button and dragging the map is supposed to
pan around but in WebView it has no effect. Also, double-clicking zooms into
the map in Firefox and then subsequent double-clicks zoom in even further.
With WebView the first double-click zooms in as expected but the second one
then zooms back out again.

Why is loading the first page in WebView so much slower than a standard
browser?

Why are there anomalies in the way the page behaves (especially with the
mouse) and are these quirks likely to be fixed in a future release?

-jct