[Interest] GUI help/opinion check boxes

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu Jul 25 10:26:13 CEST 2013

Op 25-7-2013 10:15, Graham Labdon schreef:

> Hi
>
> As part of my application the user needs to be able to select from a
> set of up to 64 options.
>
> Any combination is allowed and I need a method of
> selecting/de-selecting all of the options. As a starting point I am
> showing (up to) 64 check boxes but by default these are 'ticked' which
> does not look particularly pleasing.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on how best to implement this?
>
> Thanks

This is more of a UX than a Qt question, but ok...

You could consider using a list of checkable items. If the items can be
grouped in a sensible way, that's usually a good idea. In that case,
either use modify your list to show group headers, or perhaps use a
tree. Checking all options can be done by adding a tree-state checkbox
to the header as well. This checkbox should show checked if all items
are checked, unchecked if all items are unchecked, and intermediary if
some but not all items are checked. Clicking on it should cycle through
the options. What I mean by that is that if some of your items are
checked, and you click the header check box, you should be able to
return to that mixed state by clicking the checkbox again once or twice.

Adding a filter may help your users to locate the options they're
interested in.

André

--
You like Qt?
I am looking for collegues to join me at i-Optics!