[Interest] Certain QTextCodecs causing crashes on Linux

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 31 20:11:48 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 31 de julho de 2013 16:44:10, Scott Aron Bloom wrote:
>  20     QTextCodec::setCodecForLocale( codec );
> 21     QMessageBox::warning( NULL, argv[ 0 ], codecName );
> 22     return 0;
> 23 }
>
> When called with UTF-32 I get the following crash:
> [scott at localhost build]$ ./CodecTest UTF-32

Setting the codec for the locale on Unix to something that isn't 8-bit is an
extremely bad idea.

Don't do it.

> GConf:ERROR:gconf-client.c:2021:gconf_client_lookup: assertion failed:
(last_slash != NULL)

Doesn't look like a Qt error. I don't know if glib assertions are fatal (I've
seen many apps continue after printing assertions), so I can't tell whether
this error is related to your crash or not. Can you pastebin a backtrace?

I also can't tell whether the problem that Karl linked to is relevant. GNOME's
bugzilla seems to be down.
(http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/bugzilla.gnome.org says "It's not just
you! http://bugzilla.gnome.org looks down from here.")