[Interest] QML blocking popup menu

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 02:23:21 CEST 2013

A declarative language doesn't really mesh well with "blocking", and
you should find that once you migrate entirely to QML that you no
longer need that behavior of controlling imperative code flow. A
responsive C++ API, such as a well-written back-end for a QML UI,
should have waiting done through signals and slots instead of
blocking, e.g. where you summon the dialog in one method and connect a
slot to a dismissed signal (much like JS callbacks), because any time
you block you can mess up a fluid UI or slow down the user experience.

If you can't fix all usages in your C++ code, then what I'd recommend
to try with your mockup is to pass the whole event into the dismissal
function and then re-issue it. Manually running an event loop (even
the main one) can mess up the QtQuick event delivery. But you can
check if the event was accepted, and if not then resend it to the root
item of the scene (probably using
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qgraphicsscene.html#sendEvent ).

--
Alan Alpert