[Interest] Does QtBrowserPlugin on Internet Explorer still work?

Jori Liesenborgs jori.liesenborgs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 09:23:35 CEST 2013

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the use of the QtBrowserPlugin from
qt-solutions. If there’s a more appropriate place to ask, please let me
know, but for the time being I’ll just post it here.

When I build and install the ‘trivial’ example in Windows it works just
fine in Firefox and Chrome (i.e. using the NPAPI interface) but not in
Internet Explorer using the ActiveX interface. When I run Internet
Explorer and surf to
http://doc.qt.digia.com/solutions/4/qtbrowserplugin/qtbrowserplugin-example-trivial.html
, I see [1] in which the area for the control is clearly indicated, but
when I grant permission that area just disappears and nothing can be
seen where the plugin should be.

Now, a bit of logging revealed that the constructor of the widget was in
fact executed, so I tried adding a ‘show()’ command to the constructor.
In the Internet Explorer window this doesn’t change a thing, but on the
desktop this makes a white square area appear (see [2]). While this
seems to indicate there’s just something wrong with embedding the widget
or with the parent handle, it’s strange that that white area doesn’t
show the text that should be displayed.

Now, I noticed that in the ActiveQt examples there’s also a browser
example that seems to load an Internet Explorer ActiveX control for the
actual browsing. When I use this browser to go to the ‘trivial’ example
page, the plugin is displayed correctly (see [3]). So it seems that at
least in some circumstances the control can work correctly.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going wrong here? And perhaps
even how to fix it?

Thanks,
Jori

[1] http://research.edm.uhasselt.be/~jori/trivial/trivial1.png