[Interest] Terminating a QThread

Etienne Sandré-Chardonnal etienne.sandre at m4x.org
Fri Jun 21 13:00:07 CEST 2013

The best is still not to terminate threads if not absolutely necessary.

Even without an event loop, you can poll a flag that asks the thread to
return from the run function.

For instance:

void RenderThread::run()

{

while(!stopRequested)

	{

		//Do some intensive calculation here...

	}

//Clean resources here...

}

The "stopRequested" flag being set to "true" from outside the thread, when
we want to quit. That's not perfect (as it is a kind of polling, so if the
loop takes about 1ms to execute, you will need to wait at most 1ms to stop
the thread), but has virtually no overhead, is clean.

Never terminate threads. Or at least, use a mechanism that asks the thread
to quit cleanly, and terminate it if it has not quit after a given timeout,
issuing warnings that termination occured).
 There always a solution for avoiding it.