[Interest] Multiple windows app modal?

Bo Thorsen bthorsen at ics.com
Tue Mar 12 08:33:26 CET 2013

Den 12-03-2013 02:09, Alex Malyushytskyy skrev:
> I guess comment below was meant to send to mailing list.
>
> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM, John Weeks <john at wavemetrics.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 05-Mar-2013, at 5:02 PM, Alex Malyushytskyy wrote:
>>
>> Remember you can always disable any window at any time and leave only
>> desired windows accessible to user.
>>

>> And so I tried calling QWidget::setEnabled(false) on the top-level widget
>> for windows that I want to not be active. The contents do turn gray, and
>> mouse clicks in those windows are blocked. But still the windows are
>> activated (the window buttons are colored and the frames appear activated)
>> and they come to the top.
>>
>> To me, this is unexpected!

There is no way to avoid this. Or rather, no Qt way. You have to do one
of two things: Either redesign the application user interface or write
OS specific code to set this up.

My choice would be to redesign. Your UI choice here is so non-standard
that it's going to be hard to do the code and even harder to maintain
it. And users often don't appreciate non-standard UI choices, because it
makes the application harder to use.

Bo.

--
Bo Thorsen, European Qt Manager, Integrated Computer Solutions
ICS - Delivering World-Class Applications for Embedded & Mobile Devices