[Interest] Multiple windows app modal?

John Weeks john at wavemetrics.com
Tue Mar 12 20:47:56 CET 2013

Thanks, Scott. I appreciate the thoughtful comments I've been getting. I think by now I know about enough about Qt to be dangerous :)

On 12-Mar-2013, at 11:27 AM, Scott Aron Bloom wrote:

> Rather than disable the window (which I could see the being tons of reasons not to do)

Could you elaborate?

> why not just disable a top level background frame or group box?

I'm afraid I don't quite understand. The windows in question are top-level windows (that is, real OS windows).

In case it's of interest:

I have attached a screen shot of a demo of the feature. It happens to be taken on a Macintosh, but could be on Windows. Hopefully one day it could on Linux.

The window labelled "Pause for Cursor" is a window created by user code. In a real application, our users often create wonderfully complicated panels packed to the gills with various kinds of controls. The idea here is that the circle and box markers on the graph indicate a region of interest in the graphed data. The control panel waits for the user to adjust the positions of the markers; when the user clicks Continue, analysis code (also user-written) can analyse the marked region of interest.

There may be other graphs, tables, and other kinds of windows present. Think of our application as a "numerical analysis IDE".

-John Weeks