[Interest] opengl graphics system status in 4.8.x?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Mar 18 23:55:25 CET 2013

On segunda-feira, 18 de março de 2013 20.07.34, Simon St James wrote:
> Currently, performance is surprisingly good considering we are still using
> the "raster" graphics system where everything is plotted pixel by pixel by
> Qt and then flushed to the canvas after pixel format conversion.   However,
> we suspect that we can get significant gains in rendering speed by writing
> a Qt graphics system that uses HTML5 Canvas drawing primitives.
[snip]
> So I was wondering whether using Qt's opengl graphics system is feasible? I
> heard it was "experimental" and "not pixel-perfect", but I've not heard any
> reports that that matched mine, which makes me wonder if I just got very
> unlucky

The OpenGL graphics system in Qt 4 is considered a done experiment, leading to
the conclusion that an OpenGL graphics system is a very bad idea. The code
itself never left experimental state and is considered flawed. Do not use it.

The experiment itself was a success, since it concluded that we should do
something entirely different for performance using OpenGL. That's the Qt 5 / Qt
Quick 2 scene graph.