[Interest] opengl graphics system status in 4.8.x?

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 08:39:41 CET 2013

Am 19.03.2013 um 08:01 schrieb Simon St James <kdedevel at etotheipiplusone.com>:

>> The experiment itself was a success, since it concluded that we should do
>> something entirely different for performance using OpenGL. That's the Qt 5 /
>> Qt Quick 2 scene graph.
>
> Sounds pretty decisive, then :) Thanks for the information!

What does seem to work however - also in Qt 4.8 - is e.g. a "QGraphicsView on top of a QGLWidget": some (most?) paint operations are then OpenGL accelerated.

Also using a simple QPainter on top of a QGLWidget does accelerate certain (most?) paint operations. You have to be careful though not to "mix" the GL state induced by the QPainter and your own GL state (setup with your own modelview matrix etc.). See "beginNativePaint" and friends in the Qt docs.

Not sure whether that helps in your context.

Cheers,
  Oliver