[Interest] [Development] When debugging an application (using visual studio), Failed to load platform plugin "windows". Available platforms are:

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Mon May 13 08:56:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

First of all please ask questions regarding the use of Qt on interest at qt-project.org - Use development at qt-project.org only if you want to e.g. propose a fix. I took the liberty to move the thread there. Some comments below.

Qt tries to search for plugins in the QT directory, except if you specify a qt.conf file along your .exe, or have used QApplication::addLibraryPath() or QApplication::setLibraryPaths(). Double-check that you haven't added e.g. a qt.conf by accident/during tests.

You should check whether
 - the loading of plugins fails only when debugging (e.g. does 'Run' work normally?)
 - if the latter, that the Qt installation indeed contains debug versions (Xd.dll) of the plugins.

> But sometimes things go bad. When I press F5 (Start Debugging), it can find
> Qt dlls like Qt5Guid.dll,Qt5Quickd.dll, and so on from $(QTDIR)\bin, but can’t
> find plugins from $(QTDIR)\plugins
>
> When it can’t find the plugin, this condition will last long time.

In general you can try to run your application in 'depends.exe' (Profile mode), though I don't know whether you can embed this in your VS debugging setup. Also, you might want to set the QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS environment variable to a value, and then check the output when running your application.

> And I copied the QtDir to another machine then it works well there.

This is only supported if you have exactly the same directory structure, or use qt.conf.

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.0/qtdoc/deployment-plugins.html

> I guess QtVSAddin is  handling these. So is it a Bug of QtVSAddin ?

I doubt that the QtVSAddin does anything in this context. There should be nothing special about debugging, except maybe that the debug version of your application / the Qt libs and plugins are used.

Regards

Kai