[Interest] Q_PROPERTY notification across processes?

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Fri May 17 11:49:21 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM, alexander golks <alex at golks.de> wrote:

> Am Fri, 17 May 2013 08:16:36 +0200
> schrieb Yves Bailly <yves.bailly at sescoi.fr>:
>
> > Le 17/05/2013 03:27, Charley Bay a écrit :
> > > I have a C++ QObject-derived class that exposes properties for use in
> QML, works fine (Qt5).
> > >
> > > WHAT I WANT:
> > >
> > > I would like to instantiate an "instance" of this class in each of two
> processes, where changes in
> > > one "notifies" the other (in the other process).  This is logically
> something like
> > > "local-instance-reflection" to a remote instance in a remote process.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > A concern I have is that there will be *many* of these pairs
> (thousands, possibly tens-of-thousands),
> > > and I don't know if the approach would scale-well for lots of
> notifications.
> >
> > I found this project recently:
> > http://www.zeromq.org/
> >
> > Maybe it could be useful for what you're looking to achieve. I've not
> yet tried it though.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> what about something like:
>
>   "Qt Signals and Slots over the air"
>   http://libqxt.bitbucket.org/doc/tip/tech-ipc.html
>
> though i didn't had time to look into this myself, yet...

We're using Qxt's IPC/RPC module in our project. It's simple and easy to
use and works well over different platforms. We're using it to communicate
with a different process running on the same machine.

We went along with this and not use DBus (which provides MUCH more
functionality) because of concerns about DBus' availability on other
platforms (primarily Windows). Qxt is 100% based on Qt and relies on local
Unix domain sockets for functioning (which is there on all platforms).
Also, QtDBus is _comparatively_ more cumbersome to use.

I think your usecase where you want to inform the other process about
property changes can make use of Qxt RPC's signal/slot as it can
'serialize' your signal emissions and invoke slots in other processes.

HTH,
-mandeep