[Interest] Amazon / Classic Mac OS-like menus (Tognazzini and Batson)?

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Fri May 31 08:09:05 CEST 2013

Den 31 May 2013 kl. 12:32 AM skrev John Lee:

> Hi
>
> Has anybody implemented this sort of menu using Qt?
>
> http://bjk5.com/post/44698559168/breaking-down-amazons-mega-dropdown
>
> The idea is to avoid the problem of child menus that close before the user
> manages to navigate to them, because their mouse movement is not
> sufficiently horizontally constrained to avoid moving outside of the
> vertical extent of the parent menu item.  This is achieved without
> introducing a delay in closing the child menu, by closing the child menu
> only if the path of the cursor moves outside of a certain triangular
> region.

> From the comments on the page, it sounds like it was originally invented
> by Bruce Tognazzini and Jim Batson in 1986, and used in old versions of
> Mac OS.  Bruce comments that the technique is "firmly in the public
> domain", and suggests that the feature was omitted from OS X by accident.

That's a good idea.  The main OS X menubar seems to just have a delay when opening submenus instead.

In what context do you need such a menu?  We are trying to use native menu bars and context menus when possible, so we usually just get the OS behavior (as on the Mac).  But on Linux it might be possible to do it that way.