[Interest] What for does qt5gui need OpenGL?

Joseph Crowell joseph.w.crowell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 20:15:29 CET 2013

On 11/07/2013 07:33 PM, André Pönitz wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 07:51:16AM +0100, Tomasz Olszak wrote:
>> 2013/11/7 Uwe Rathmann <Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de>
>>
>>      On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 08:03:47 -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>
>>      >> Shouldn't they be in Qt5OpenGL.dll?
>>      >
>>      > No, they are where they were supposed to be. That's by design.
>>
>>      With some nasty consequences for us users:
>>
>>      Our applications run on several pieces of embedded hardware, where one of
>>      them had been designed 7 years ago with a graphic chip, where only OpenGL
>>      ES 1.1 is supported. This board needs to be supported and updated for
>>      many, many years - no way to exchange it by something more recent.
>>
>>      Even if we don't need OpenGL ( using widgets only ) we are stuck with Qt
>>      4 forever, because Qt5 has this unnecessary OpenGL dependency. So far
>>      this had been no big problem - Qt4 is pretty fine - and there are some
>>      backports of new Qt5 features ( by the way: it would be nice to add the
>>      json classes to Qt 4.9 ), but sooner or later this will become an issue.
>>

>> AFAIK you can build Qt5 with no-opengl switch and you should be able to run
>> QtWidgets applications without having libQt5OpenGl dependency in libQt5Gui.
> The problem is that this won't scale. One cannot provide custom builds of
> Qt for each realistic user configuration, let alone proactively package
> such stuff in large quantities. Requiring the users to run one, or one out
> of a few "blessed" configurations is likewise infeasible.
>
> Runtime detection of capabilities and selecting features _then_ is
> the only viable appraoch.
>
> Andre'

The platform developers can and should provide custom builds of Qt 5 for
their embedded platform. The fact that embedded platform developers
didn't know enough about Qt to know that they could compile Qt 5 without
Open GL worrys me.

Also note he wants this support because of a 7 year old embedded graphic
chip. What functionality did embedded devices have 7 years ago? How far
can you expect to push a 7 year old embedded graphics chip? I say stay
in the past with the old Qt for that ancient device and let the rest of
us move in to the future.