[Interest] What for does qt5gui need OpenGL?

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Fri Nov 8 13:58:48 CET 2013

On Fri, 08 Nov 2013 11:47:36 +0100, Bo Thorsen wrote:

> With a 7 year old board, this is what you can expect to start hitting.
> It's so old, that you just can't expect brand new software to run on it.

The strategy of Qt5 is to introduce a new graphic stack but also to keep
the old old one alive. Of course I can't expect to run something new on
an outdated board, but it doesn't necessarily has to mean regression when
using the old graphic stack.

Almost all embedded applications with some history are running QWS/
widgets where is no comparable replacement in Qt5 ( I know nobody wants
to work on QWS code for understandable reasons ). In fact this is the
point where our Qt5 consideration failed - sorry for my ignorance about
the no-opengl flag, but we never got so far.

--

If someone is interested: we are also writing a new application on a
brand new type of hardware - so no legacy issues here:

Our main problem is/was, that our test department is using a VNC based
test tool and beside X11 there is no easy way to get it running with Qt5
( Qt4/QWS supports it out of the box ). For a QML application Qt5/X11 is
o.k., but when using widgets only the combination Qt4/X11 offers hardware
acceleration.

Finally we decided to go with Qt5/X11 ( hoping for some VNC support in
Wayland later ) - and for no strong reason with QML.

> I don't think you will see a Qt 4.9. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.
> What you could do instead is to start a backport library for 4.8 where
> you put stuff like the JSON class in.

Such a backport already exists - that's why I mentioned it.

Being the maintainer of the Qwt project I'm in contact with many
developers of Qt applications and as far as I can see almost nobody did a
Qt5 migration - even if it would be pretty easy for average desktop
application code.

Maybe you have a good explanation for this ?

Uwe