[Interest] static qt without zlib

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Fri Nov 22 15:09:45 CET 2013

hi konrad,

>> i'm trying to compile qt as static library with msvc2012. is it possible
>> to do this without building zlib? my application provides its own
>> version of zlib, so i'm currently having duplicate symbols from my own
>> static zlib and Qt5Core.lib
>
> Zlib is pretty basic to some Qt tools, e.g. Qt Resources (*.qrc) are
> compressed when compiled.

well it is not that i want to completely remove zlib, but i currently
have too many of them ;)

> You might try to use a "system zlib", i.e. provide your own copy of zlib as
> the one Qt links to and then use the one linked inside Qt.

i've already tried to compile with -system-zlib, but Qt5Core.lib still
contains zlib symbols.
or do i need to/am i able to explicitly specify my zlib when compiling qt?

> Why are you using static linking anyway?

i'm using qt from a plugin context. static linking will avoid some
problems which could occur when linking dynamically.

thnx,
tim