[Interest] iOS Guidlines and QML

Andrea Franceschini therealmorpheu5 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 11:25:34 CEST 2013

2013/9/30 Paul Miller <stelefx at gmail.com>:

>> "2.7 Apps that download code in any way or form will be rejected"
>
> Odd, considering web-based apps can do exactly that. I use several apps
> that must download data from a server before they are usable.

The difference here is between data and executable code.

As you correctly point out, Apple somewhat lifted the limitation about
executing code that wasn't written using Objective-C and/or C++,
therefore allowing the plethora of interpreters available in the App
Store, and all those app that use scripts as part of their business
logic. However, 2.7 limits your ability to fetch executable code from
the Internet at run time, that is at a time in which that code cannot
be verified and certified by Apple as non-malicious. I think this
limitation is perfectly reasonable from their POV.

Regarding QML and the presence of JS code in it… well, Apple hasn't
been exactly known to apply the same criteria to all apps. It happened
to me that I had an app rejected because "you could do the same with a
web site" when the App Store was already full of apps that did no more
than mine… except that the authors were big brands in fashion,
furniture, and food making.

--
Andrea Franceschini