[Interest] Installing Qt 5.2 alpha after building from git for Android fails

Preet prismatic.project at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 05:12:48 CEST 2013

Hiya,

I'm trying to build qt from git for Android, but ran into some issues.
I didn't have any issues building/install for Android when git stable
was still ~5.1. I am cross compiling on Linux.

I'm able to build and install qtbase without any problems. I'm also
able to build other modules, but I can't install them. I think there's
some strangeness going on with $INSTALL_ROOT. Here's the breakdown:

* check out qtbase, build it and install it to a path specified via
something like "./configure -prefix /some/install/path && make && make
install"

* check out other modules, then do 'qmake && make && make install',
making sure that 'qmake' is the same one i just installed in the
previous step

* The make step completes successfully. It seems like 'make install'
copies the libs and headers successfully, but fails for 'extra' stuff.
For example, with qtxmlpatterns, here's where install errors out:

cd xmlpatterns/ && ( test -e Makefile ||
/home/preet/Dev/env/android/qt-5-git-debug/bin/qmake
/home/preet/Downloads/build/qt-5-git/qtxmlpatterns/tools/xmlpatterns/xmlpatterns.pro
-o Makefile ) && make -f Makefile install
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/preet/Downloads/build/qt-5-git/qtxmlpatterns/tools/xmlpatterns'
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/libs’: Permission denied

* If I look at the makefile in qtxmlpatterns/tools/xmlpatterns, it
looks like it expects $INSTALL_ROOT to point to my qt installation but
I never specified an INSTALL_ROOT so its empty, which explains why it
tries to call "mkdir /libs" and fails

* If I grep for INSTALL_ROOT in the qtxmlpatterns build dir, the
Makefile in ./src/xmlpatterns/ has an INSTALL_ROOT as well, but it
correctly assumes that $INSTALL_ROOT is empty/undefined (here's an
example line):

-$(INSTALL_FILE)
/home/preet/Downloads/build/qt-5-git/qtxmlpatterns/src/xmlpatterns/api/qabstractmessagehandler.h
$(INSTALL_ROOT)/home/preet/Dev/env/android/qt-5-git-debug/include/QtXmlPatterns/

So I'm not sure what to do here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Preet