[Interest] QIcon and multiple themes

Stefan Böhmann kde at hilefoks.org
Wed Oct 16 11:44:07 CEST 2013

Hi list,

I want to provide a custom set of icons for my application without using resources (license and size constraints). So all icons are installed together with the application. I also have not only one single theme but a generic one (Oxygen for example), some specific (e.g. flags) and an application-specific.

So my installation directory looks like this:

icons
    oxygen
        16x16
        …
        index.theme
    flags
        16x16
        …
        index.theme
    app
        16x16
        …
        index.theme

How can I load the icons easiest?
I know QIcon :: setTheme and friends, but do not see how I can apply it with multiple themes. Or should I write my own QIconEnginePlugin?

BTW: Ease of use is more important than ease of implementation.

Any tip is appreciated.

Thanks,
Stefan