[Interest] Accessible QT installer

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at digia.com
Wed Oct 23 19:48:34 CEST 2013

Hello Maik,

Tirsdag 22. oktober 2013 19.01.04 skrev Maik Brodnicki:
> Hello,
>
> I’m a blind programmer, and new to the list.
> I want to use the QT framework in Visual studio for accessible
> applications, with assestive technologies like screenreader.
> But I have a problem with the installer for QT. The installer is
> completely inaccessible for screenreaders.
> I use Jaws and NVDA. The only way to read the text into the setup is to
> use a OCR software, but my screenreaders also can't find any buttons for
> “next” etc.
> Any help for me? Is it possible to make the installer more accessible
> for blind programmers in QT 5.2?

For now one option you have is to get qt from git or source packages. I know
this isn't perfect and takes time to compile, but at least it always works.

In the meantime I checked what we are missing to have the installers
accessible and it is actually not much.
We need to statically link in the widget accessible plugin which is not big.
On Linux I can then get Orca to work with the installer. I assume that it will
work on Windows as well but have not tested it.

I am not sure if we manage to get everything working in Qt 5.2 though.

Greetings,
Frederik