[Interest] Interest Digest, Vol 25, Issue 70

Danny77uk . deepblue842 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 28 14:16:37 CET 2013

These are not mutually exclusive. You can use a stylesheet on top of a
QStyle; in fact this exactly how Qt works. There is always a style applied,
even if it is the native Windows/Mac/X11 style.

The advantage of stylesheets is that they are simpler and quicker to
implement - you can test them 'live' in the Designer.

Subclassing QProxyStyle gives you more control but its a lot more work. But
you can change things that are not possible with stylesheets, like the
icons used in messageboxes or even behavioural things like whether or not
sliders snap to their tick marks (look at StyleHints).

Stylesheets definitely have a performance penalty and I wouldn't recommend
styling an entire application that way; you'd be better off re-implementing
paint events. Both interfaces are really designed for making minor tweaks.

I would definitely go with stylesheets first. Read up on the documentation
to understand the box model and how sub controls are work.

Message: 1