[Interest] Unique Database connection name

arno arno at disconnect.de
Wed Sep 4 19:32:00 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 04-Sep-13 7:06 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Is that the global thread pool, or one of yours? If it's the global pool, it's
> a problem, since you should only run short tasks there.

A local ThreadPool in another Thread. Actually, it's my own
implementation of a QFilesystemModel that can be refreshed, and does
some other things...

> In any case, the pointer address might be reused, but only after
> removeDatabase. So there's no conflict.

In theory, yes. Maybe I have an error in my implementation, but I got
crashes after warnings about the database being removed while still in
use. Don't remember the exact warning any more, sorry.

I solved it by moving the QSqlQueries to the GUI thread for now. But the
Queries will become expensive soon, thus my asking.

>> I tried QUuid, but the documentation is scarce. Seems it's only a class
>> for representing a UUID, not for generating one, right?
>
> Hmm... the docs say
> "Most platforms provide a tool for generating new UUIDs, e.g. uuidgen and
> guidgen. You can also use createUuid(). "
>
> But the QUuid::createUuid function is not documented. It exists, it's just not
> documented. Looks like an oversight.

Yeah, Jan pointed me in the right direction. Don't know why I didn't see
it the first time, though. It's in the 5.1 online documentation, if you
know what you're looking for. I was using the 5.0 assistant at the time
and didn't see it, if that helps.

Dunno if I'm the first one having this problem. If not, maybe it would
be a good idea to implement something like:
~~
static QSqlDatabase::cloneDatabase(defaultdatabase || namedDatabase,
bool open = true)
~~
creating a unique string by itself.

Sorry, I'm only using Qt, not hacking it, so I so don't expect me to
come up with a patch :)

--
Gruß,
Arno.