[Interest] QAbstractEventDispatcher

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 11:43:31 CEST 2013

Good morning,

I am trying to implement my own event loop. I am trying to use
libpurple which uses glib with a Qt application I am developing [1].
On Linux the application runs fine. On windows the application is
unstable and will freeze. Working on the assumption that the Windows
version of Qt is not using the glib eventloop I set about
re-implementing the event loop using the QAbstractEventDispatcher.

I am concerned for two reasons:

1, Perhaps this isn't the correct approach at all? (Perhaps the
libpurple should be in a different thread altogether ???).

2, There is a lack of good examples regarding Qt and 3rd party glib
implementations for which I believe the class was designed for.

I was ploughing ahead with it anyway on the basis that it would be a
good exercise, however I am getting lost. Such as the registerTimer
function [2], where is the timerId value from? I am using my own Id's
so could I clash?

Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.
Regards
Phil Hannent

[1] https://hg.pidgin.im/soc/2013/phil/quail-redux/file/777509d81ef2/src/QuailEventLoop.cpp

[2] http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/docs/library/html/qt4/qabstracteventdispatcher.html#registerTimer-2