[Interest] QUdpSocket broken?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Sep 12 03:50:57 CEST 2013

On quarta-feira, 11 de setembro de 2013 17:09:18, Guido Seifert wrote:
> > All QUdpSocket tests are currently being ignored. They have been ignored
> > for the past 2 years. In other words, we have no idea whether QUdpSocket
> > has ever worked for Qt 5.
>
> Wow, this is hardly believable. This time it isn't about multicast. It is
> the normal send/receive between two QUdpSockets. I cannot believe that such
> a severe bug gets unnoticed for such a long time. Not working multicast...
> perhaps. But being unable to receive data via udp at all? This should break
> more than on project. I would have expected some more bug reports.

This is not news. It's been like that for several years, even before we had a
decent CI system for Qt. UDP breaks all the time because, unlike TCP, it
doesn't get tested well-enough and because there are subtle and incompatible
differences between the OSes.

I remember trying to maintain support for it when I still cared for Solaris,
HP-UX and IRIX. It was a nightmare! I think at one point I concluded that the
SO_REUSEADDR attribute on Solaris worked the opposite of what it was supposed
to do, possibly due to a bug in the Solaris kernel.